Sunday, June 10, 2012

Incompetence-Thy-Middle Name


"I am awesome – you are stupid – I am smart – you are stupid – Whatever I do (or pretend to do) is right – and you are stupid – I will open my mouth and never make a word of sense - but you will remain stupid...!"

I’m sure you get the general drift of what I am trying to say through the above err statement? For those who need a little nudge in the right direction this post (as the name and the initial rant suggests) will be an anguished cry to bring to the attention of the general public no one person in particular but a spectacular breed of people who hide their incompetence in the garb of a mightier-than-thou (stinky) attitude. I know psychologists have written about these people umpteen times and have linked their general fear of their incompetence (which results in a serious attitude issue) to things like inferiority complexes and what not... I won’t get into the psychology of things because frankly I couldn’t care less about what Adler had to say organ inferiority (in this case the organ in question would be the BRAIN or lack thereof) - what really annoys me to no end is the fact that these breeds of incompetent people with an attitude that stinks more than my gym socks end up occupying key positions in the corporate hierarchy and end up sh*tting on the heads of those beneath them. Now this post can take two possible tracks – either I continue to rant (which I would love to do) or I offer way’s to help those victims to overcome their demons...both ways I doubt I’ll be able to capture eyeballs beyond a paragraph or two (honestly tell me how many of you are actually here to read about another woeful persons woes – I’m sure you have enough troubles of your own...and the second unthinkable option is to listen to some klutz dolling out motivational “self help” type advice...I can see the shoe flying at the screen!)...well I’ll tread the path in between (yes the one that’s not actually there – go up and down the same path a couple of times and you do end up making a decent enough clearing...a trail of sorts...ok lets not digress too much...back to the point...the path...the one in between enlightenment and utter woefulness...)

I have seen a lot of incompetent people in my life – now either I have exceptionally high standards of competence (which I assure you I do not) or these kinds are multiplying like the plague...and somehow they all end up occupying one or several levels beyond the one you’re at...they get a birds eye view (maybe from up there everyone appears stupid...I’ll let you know when I get up that high) and all we see up above are assholes...how did they get there one wonders? No rocket science...there was a time they were where we are (I speak for myself and my brethren at the bottom of the food chain)...they licked the right assholes and bumped their way up by climbing on everyone else’s shoulders.  Contrary to what Mr. Gandhi once preached – the only way to reach the top is to climb on other peoples’ back...shoulders...heads...any protrusion available thereafter so one can reach the top.

If Karma really did apply to all then these folks should fall – and fall hard...but they don’t – either that or they have a really good way of concealing their fall! Since Karma’s bitchy nature fails to give justice to those eagerly awaiting the great fall – we all must observe a moment of silence for those whose professional lives have been royally f*cked by the presence of these pretentious SOB’s. The existence of this breed of people can be very disheartening for those of us who actually work and try not to cut corners in our professional lives. We have to accept that these people exist and their sole purpose of their existence is to trample on their subordinates and get their own work done. Its the law of nature that those higher up on the food chain prey on what lies below so the only thing a dedicated worker ant can do is hang in there and not let such crap affect them (don’t I sound like a motivational speaker now).

Ok this is my first post after a very very looong time...so I’m going to test the waters a little and end it here – there is more “gyan” in my coconut that I’d love to disburse but only if people are listening – so based on the response to this post – I’ll decide whether to post my “Dealing with Incompetence” post or not...happy reading

6 comments:

laddu said...

i can see how angry u r at ur boss (correct me if i am wrong).. well gud news for u is that u r not alone in this world.. i am pretty sure that almost all of us feel the same anger, pinch..well i am also sure that in ur profession (whatever it may be) there must be much less incompetent ppl than there are in IT.. u should look at the managers in IT.. dey earn bloody 40lakhs and don't know a shit.. they hold the post of super manager, have the responsibility of the entire project and all they do in office is to hang out with gls of their daughters age, sit at others desk and chat, play xbox in office, come late, go early, hold crapy totally avoidable and unimportant meetings with the team, collect fines of 10 bucks from others, always speak of the new flat that he has booked and what not !! and tech wise doesn't know a shit..the only one thing he does best is to give crappy and shitty reasons during appraisals....

boy oh boy !! was that my frustration that I have been trying to take out from a really long time and finally it happened in the comment section of ur blog !! well excuse me for that.. it happened on the spur of the moment.. well what i am trying to say is that we are surrounded by as***les and we cant ignore them..

u would be doing a big favour if u can come up with some way to ignore them !!

anyways gud to see u after a long time.. u have a flair for writing..hope to see more of u :)

Anonymous said...

seems agony aunt has a new corner..
to your 'middle' path..it wasnt was it?
how is calling them assholes(sorry no *s)anything inbetween?
and by the mere fact that you yourself relate that they were where you are...so you are gonna be where they are...(licking may get you there faster)
ignore them or not..they are still going to 'shit on you'..
coping with that is what this is about..not any middle way.
yell it out you'll feel better.
so...hope you find many who say they hate their bosses(yeah i'm talking to the "me too" above)
i do agree that how you write is different...hence interesting.

Kapila Pande said...

@annonymous person who loves to comment on my blog post...I truly love you, your cynicism and wit with which you praise yet shun :P brilliant! its people like you that keep the agony aunt in me alive

@laddu...thanks for being such an ardent follower - dont think anyone else reads my crap..ehehehe..glad my post could help you vent...leme see if a solution can be found soon

Anonymous said...

Drawn into “blessed be this nightmare” … call it destiny / bad luck  … or some shit …
Earnestly kudos … admirations galore …
Let me keep this simple and straight …
Amidst all ur awesome posts (keep aside the movie reviews longer than anupama chopra's) …
This is … sulfuric acid … gastronomic pain … gas!!!

Since you render pearls of wisdom … let me offer one to you …
Turn the pages of any hero (even reasonably established) … you wouldn’t find the millions left behind … have you ever wondered why a corporate is always represented by pyramid??? and not in trapezium or cylinder … because there is only one apex point and rest falls below … Dude it’s a war and not social service … you chose to be in this war / race , pick ur sword and fight… everything is fair in war … it’s winning that matters …
Jealousy of second and self-anger is the only motivation with which trend setters work … no one throws stones on an empty tree 
A word of caution, mother universe has a mystical way to conspire and bring you to the other side … be ready to read a bloger’s post or swords thrown when u start growing … happy growing 

… want to be Little boy 

Vineet said...

Nice Posts Kapila

Can guess the person you are referring to in "Thy Name" post. Experiencing from close quarters now - I guess :-)

It is very easy to fulfill their bloated egos by saying "tumhe kuch nahin aata" (in his case command over hindi is doubtful though)

Could not complete Jab Tak Hai Jaan post. Writeup itna lamba hai toh film kaisee hogi :-)

You have good command over language and nice flow in writing. Keep up the good work

Kapila Pande said...

@annonymous / little boy - I taketh your pearl and string it to my necklace...teach me not what the corporate world is about for I have been surviving the "corporate jungle" for a while now...and yes the corporate world is represented by a pyramid - but why cant it be a square? Ever wondered? We are so caught up in following the prescribed rules of how things should be we tend to stop questioning why things are the way they are...as for being at the receiving end...I'd love to be written about - care to share your blogpost link?

@Vineet thanks for sharing your thoughts...I assure you I will write shorter posts now :)

Blog Archive